Monday, October 09, 2006

The Case Study vs. the Eames Eiffel Armchair


My favorite purchase #1 (shown above) is the Eames® Eiffel Plastic Armchair—the first industrially manufactured plastic chairsoriginally created back in 1950 by famous designers Ray and Charles. I was disappointed at first because the chairs I bought from Design Within Reach are plastic and I really wanted fiberglass (the plastic chairs are not replicas but the original Eames/Herman Miller chairs were all made with fiberglass) but these look just as good (plus the plastic they use is eco-friendly) minus the nice heavy-duty feel of the originals.

After doing some research online and during my travelling between NY and LA I found out some interesting information. Modernica--another furniture retailer/maker that I am in love with--sells these same chairs but in a variety of amazing colors and leg styles AND THEY ARE FIBERGLASS! Because of this, I figured they were extremely good knockoffs. That's not necessarily the truth...

You see, Modernica bought licensing the mold from Herman Miller some years ago. Here's what Modernica claims:
"For the first time since 1983, the classic 1950 Fiberglass Arm Chair, often referred to as the most significant furniture design of the 20th century, is being produced using much of the original equipment that produced the original chairs. Until now, creating true fiberglass chairs that display fiber prominence, and translucency was all but a lost art."

click here to view Modernica's version and all the combo possibilities.


No comments: